MSMQ private Q app works well under XP, but fails silently on 2003 Server
Trey Carroll
2009-05-12 20:25:19 UTC
I have created an application that uses a MSMQ private queue on XP.
Everything was working great on my machine. Then, when I went to
deploy the app to a Windows 2003 server, I got a really nasty
surprise. The code executes without throwing any exceptions, but
nothing is ever enqueued.

I have tried ever possible variation that I can dream up without
success. I would be deeply grateful for any advice that you can
provide.

DETAILS:
ASP.NET program enqueue's the object (An xml string). A windows
service dequeue's it. Both are located on the same machine. The
server is 2003 sp1. (I have tested it on 2003 sp2 and the issue is
still there.)
queue.

This server is part of an AD domain.

This is a transactional, private queue reference via the string: @".
\private$\myQueueName"

I have set the permissions to be as permissive as possible to try to
get something to show up in the queue. (Everybody has full control.)

The queue is created from code, but I have also tried creating it by
hand to see if it makes any difference.

VARIATIONS:
I have tried using a public queue and I have tried almost allow of the
ways of referencing the queue:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778392(WS.10).aspx

The queue must use transactions, but everything else is negotiable.

I have tried setting permissions to FullControll for the Everyone
account via the Queue's dialog and from code.

Thanks for any help or hints that you can provide.
John Breakwell (MSFT)
2009-05-13 09:15:02 UTC
Hi Trey,

You could try enabling negative Source Journaling on the message and
checking the Transactional Dead Letter Queue. The message should end up
there with a class that identifies the problem.

"I have set the permissions to be as permissive as possible to try to get
something to show up in the queue. (Everybody has full control.)"
That's not as open as you can get. 'Everybody' doesn't mean everybody - you
would need to add 'Anonymous Logon' to the permissions to achieve that.

Cheers
John Breakwell (MSFT)